Office hours: Monday - Friday, 9.00 - 17.00 EDT (UTC-04)
Fellows of the International Society of Travel Medicine (FISTM)
It was during the first Conference of International Travel Medicine in 1988 that close to 500 travel medicine professionals gathered and decided to launch the first international society focused solely on travel medicine. Established during the second Conference of International Travel Medicine in 1991 with over 900 delegates, ISTM has now grown to over 3,500 members in almost 100 countries and is the largest organization of professionals dedicated to the advancement of the specialty of travel medicine.
At the 25 year anniversary of the Society, the ISTM Executive Board established the FISTM credential to recognize individuals who advocate for and support the ISTM, and to those who demonstrate professional excellence either in the way of clinical practice, research, education, and/or policy development. An initial group of 18 Travel Medicine Professionals were bestowed the FISTM in 2016 becoming the first class of Fellows. We are delighted to also announce the 2017 Fellows of the ISTM. Please join us during the Opening Ceremonies of the CISTM15 to acknowledge both FISTM Classes.
- Paul Arguin, United States of America, 2017 Fellows Class
- Elizabeth Barnett, United States of America, 2017 Fellows Class
- Irmgard Bauer, Australia, 2017 Fellows Class
- Eric Caumes, France, 2016 Fellows Class
- Lin Chen, United States of America, 2017 Fellows Class
- Jane Chiodini, United Kingdom, 2017 Fellows Class
- Bradley Connor, United States of America, 2016 Fellows Class
- Kenneth Dardick, United States of America, 2017 Fellows Class
- Richard Dawood, United Kingdom, 2017 Fellows Class
- Herbert DuPont, United States of America, 2016 Fellows Class
- Charles Ericsson, United States of America, 2016 Fellows Class
- Gerard Flaherty, Ireland, 2017 Fellows Class
- David Freedman, United States of America, 2016 Fellows Class
- Fiona Genasi, United Kingdom, 2016 Fellows Class
- Jeffery Goad, United States of America, 2017 Fellows Class
- Larry Goodyer, United Kingdom, 2017 Fellows Class
- Davidson Hamer, United States of America, 2017 Fellows Class
- Jay Keystone, Canada, 2016 Fellows Class
- Phyllis Kozarsky, United States of America, 2016 Fellows Class
- Peter Leggat, Australia, 2016 Fellows Class
- Hans Lobel, United States of America [Posthumously], 2016 Fellows Class
- Louis Loutan, Switzerland, 2016 Fellows Class
- Alan Magill, United States of America [Posthumously], 2016 Fellows Class
- Anne McCarthy, Canada, 2017 Fellows Class
- Karl Neumann, United States of America, 2017 Fellows Class
- Prativa Pandey, Nepal, 2016 Fellows Class
- Androula Pavli, Greece, 2017 Fellows Class
- Michel Rey, France, 2016 Fellows Class
- Andrea Rossanese, Italy, 2017 Fellows Class
- Gail Rosselot, United States of America, 2017 Fellows Class
- Patricia Schlagenhauf-Lawlor, Switzerland, 2017 Fellows Class
- David Shlim, United States of America, 2016 Fellows Class
- Craig Stark, United States of America, 2017 Fellows Class
- Robert Steffen, Switzerland, 2016 Fellows Class
- Frank von Sonnenburg, Germany, 2016 Fellows Class
- Dominique Tessier, Canada, 2017 Fellows Class
- Annelies Wilder-Smith, Singapore, 2016 Fellows Class
- Mary Wilson, United States of America, 2017 Fellows Class
Fellows Program Details
Commensurate with the maturation of our society, the ISTM has established an advanced recognition program to honor those individuals who have demonstrated outstanding contributions to the field of travel medicine, to those who advocate for and support the ISTM, and to those who demonstrate professional excellence either in the way of clinical practice, research, education, and/or policy development.
Every two years during the CISTMs, the ISTM will bestow a life-long ISTM Fellows credential to those professionals who meet the majority of the criteria identified below. The program will be administered by the ISTM Special Recognitions Committee (SRC)
An initial group of ISTM Fellows were grandfathered into the program in 2016. This group included the current and past ISTM Presidents, the current and past ISTM Secretary-Treasurers, and the current and past ISTM Journal Editors. The initial group and first class of Fellows were inducted during the CISTM15 in May of 2017.
Applications for Fellow status should focus on the requisite criteria which will be reviewed with vigor by the ISTM SRC. Successful candidates must demonstrate outstanding contributions to the International Society of Travel Medicine and the field of travel medicine. Application, including satisfying all requisite criteria, is not a prima facie guarantee of approval of Fellow status by the SRC and the ISTM Executive Board.
ISTM members in good standing may self-apply for Fellow status, or a current Fellow can provide the complete application on behalf of a member. Candidates applying to be accepted will be required to submit a completed application form, an up-to-date, full-length curriculum vitae, and at least three letters of support from others in the field of travel medicine. At least one of the three letters of support must be provided by a current ISTM Fellow. Please note that current members of the SRC cannot provide letters of support for Fellow applications. This includes Charles Ericsson, Prativa Pandey, Fiona Genasi, Phyllis Kozarsky and Louis Loutan.
The ISTM SRC will review all applications, and make recommendations to the ISTM Executive Board for the final candidates to be accepted into the program. Once a candidate has been accepted, s(he) is entitled to specific benefits and recognition outlined below for as long as s(he) maintains an active ISTM membership. Applicants who are denied advancement to Fellow status may appeal directly to the Executive Board via the Executive Director, Diane Nickolson. Unsuccessful applicants may reapply as often as they wish.
ISTM Fellows are recognized leaders in the field of travel medicine and in the ISTM. As such, ISTM Fellow candidates must have maintained membership in the ISTM for a minimum of 5 years and usually will have participated actively in leadership positions in the society. Candidates with 5-10 years of membership will be considered for accelerated advancement to Fellow status, which will require an exceptionally strong record of accomplishments. In addition to the membership criterion, a candidate must also meet the first criterion, and at least 3 of the subsequent 4 criteria to be considered:
- Has achieved and maintained their Certificate in Travel HealthTM or an equivalent certification;
- Has demonstrated advocacy for the practice of travel medicine nationally, regionally and/or internationally;
- Has participated in travel medicine educational programs, including those of ISTM and other regional or national travel medicine or related professional societies;
- Has fulfilled criteria on one or more of the following tracks:
ii. Researcher: has contributed to the literature in a substantive and
iii. Policy: has contributed to the development of travel health guidelines
and recommendations nationally and/or internationally and contributed
to efforts at dissemination of policy changes
Fulfillment and verification of each criterion must be adequately documented in the application, curriculum vitae or letters of support.
Benefits of Becoming an ISTM Fellow
When ISTM Fellows are inducted at the Awards Ceremony during the biennial CISTM they will receive a certificate suitable for framing that acknowledges this life-long status and a lapel pin.
ISTM Fellows will be entitled to use the credential, Fellow of the ISTM (FISTM). They will be recognized regularly in ISTM publications, on the ISTM website, in the Global Travel Medicine Clinic Directory, and at the ISTM Conferences (CISTMs) with a special ribbon for their badge and acknowledgement in the program materials.
Prior to each CISTM, a call for Fellow Nominations will be distributed to all current ISTM Fellows and ISTM Members in good standing along with access to the application form and program description. The application process will require proof that the candidate has met the requisite criteria. The application deadline will be 10 to 12 months prior to the CISTM. The ISTM Special Recognitions Committee will review the applications, and submit its recommendation to the ISTM Executive Board. The Executive Board will approve the recommendation 6-8 months before the CISTM, and candidates will be notified immediately.
At least 5 months prior to the CISTM, Awards Ceremony invitations will be sent to all current Fellows and the accepted candidates. The invitations will include a list of the candidates who will be inducted during the Awards Ceremony.
The 2018-2019 Fellows Application Form is available here.
Please note: The provided pdf is a fillable form, however some web browsers may not allow fillable functionality. It is recommend that you save the PDF to your hard drive and use that file for full functionality.
2018-2019 Fellows Program Awards Timeline
Call for Nominations: 1 April 2018 to 31 July 2018
Candidate Review and Recommendations to ISTM Executive Board: October 2018
ISTM Executive Board Award Decisions: December 2018
Notification of Candidates: January 2019
2019 ISTM Fellows Program Awards Ceremony: June 2019