Office hours: Monday - Friday, 9.00 - 17.00 EDT (UTC-04)
Military Travel Interest Group
Founding MembersOlivier Aoun, France
Gerhard Boecken, Germany
Holly Doyne, United States of America
Andrew Green, United Kingdom
Martin Haditsch, Austria
Peter Leggat, Australia
Anne McCarthy, Canada
Mark Riddle, United States of America
Are you a healthcare provider interested in medical readiness of, or caring for, military service members?
ISTM Executive Board has approved the Military Travel Interest Group. This group is free to join with your ISTM membership and will give you the opportunity to collaborate with other ISTM members who work with Deployed military personnel.
Through history, military medicine has contributed and continues to contribute to major scientific advances in the fields of epidemiology, vaccinology, psychiatry, infectious diseases, tropical medicine, and as a consequence of travel medicine. Deployed military personnel represent a unique travel cohort typically characterized as young, disciplined, trained, predominantly male, strictly selected, controlled, and regularly monitored population, travelling in groups for occupational reasons.
Goals for the Group
- Increase cooperation between military providers for improving pre-, during, and post-deployment care.
- Improve international networking between military providers.
- Facilitate the development of the best practices regarding prevention and treatment of deployment-related health issues.
- Promote visibility and support of military travel medicine within the ISTM.
- Advance the science of military medicine and provide professional education about military travelers.
- Alert and educate non-military health care providers who deal with service members to the unique requirements, exposures and needs of the military.
- Introduce travel medicine to the military healthcare providers in order to expand their knowledge, attitude, and practices.