Office hours: Monday - Friday, 9.00 - 17.00 EDT (UTC-04)
TravelMed, the ISTM Listserv, is open to ISTM Members who wish to communicate with other members on clinical travel medicine discussions. This is an unmoderated discussion group through email that many ISTM members find a great benefit. Members are automatically enrolled, but can easily cancel or change their enrollment terms after logging into your account.
TravelMed is a forum for discussion of individual clinical cases, patient management issues, guidelines for clinical care, and educational/training opportunities. Postings are restricted to the following areas:
- Professional dialogue and discussion whereby members can "safely" discuss some of our more unusual clinical cases without the worry of personal patient details being passed on or being leaked to the public.
- Discussion of pre-travel medical issues and cases, including use of drugs and biologicals.
- Discussion of common post-travel medical issues and cases.
- Research results which members might like to share with colleagues.
- Announcements of relevant conferences & short courses by those sponsoring them. These should also be posted to the ISTM Meetings Calendar webpage.
- Announcements of new publications and new Internet sites.
- Individual requests for assistance. (Requests from non-ISTM members will be rigorously screened to allow only requests of universal relevance to be posted.)
- Dissemination of highly topical information collected from other Web sites, other listservs, or from authoritative non-Internet sources and publications.
- Recommendations of books, websites, publications, products, or services so long as the person posting is not involved in their production, sale, or has another financial conflict with that product.
- Requests to identify a Travel Medicine provider at a specific location not listed in the online ISTM Global Travel Clinic Directory. Such postings should carry at the beginning of their subject line the words *Clinic Needed:*. Responses to such postings should be sent to the questioner's individual e-mail address only and not back to the TravelMed address.
If you have questions about TravelMed, please contact the ISTM Secretariat. TravelMed is regularly monitored by the ISTM Secretariat, although not always on a real-time basis. In order to preserve a climate that encourages both civil and fruitful communications, ISTM reserves the right to suspend TravelMed posting privileges for members who violate these rules. Individuals posting material not relevant to the TravelMed Charter or using insulting language will be warned and then have posting privileges suspended for a subsequent infraction.
- Do not hit either Reply: or Reply All: in responding to a posting unless you want your message sent to all 1350 subscribers. You must create a new e-mail message or Forward: the existing message to an individual e-mail address if you want to send your response just to that person.
- Don't challenge or attack others. The discussions on the list are mean to stimulate the sharing of knowledge and information, not to create contention. Let others have their say, just as you may.
- Don't recommend books, websites, publications, products, or services if you are involved in their production, sale, or has another financial conflict with that product.
- Limit your postings to topics included in the TravelMed Charter. Questions regarding processes and operational matters relating to TravelMed should not be sent to the list, rather to the ISTM Secretariat.
- If you need to identify a Travel Medicine provider at a specific location not listed in the online ISTM Global Travel Clinic Locator, you may post the question. Such postings should carry at the beginning of their subject line the words *Clinic Needed*. Responses to such postings should be sent to the questioner's individual e-mail address only and not back to the TravelMed address.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the list is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything on the list that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Please note carefully all items listed in the legal rules below, particularly regarding copyright ownership of information posted to the list.
- Remember that ISTM and other list participants have the right to reproduce postings to TravelMed.
- Slogans, taglines, quotes, whether commercial in nature or not as well as political or religious statements are not permitted in TravelMed postings.
- TravelMed subscribers making postings should always include their first names, surnames, professional affiliations, and country of practice (if not evident from the affiliation line) in the signature block of the e-mail message. It is acceptable to have phone numbers and web addresses appear as part of the signature block.
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Include only the relevant portions of the original message in your reply. Delete any header information, and put your response before the original posting.
- Only send a message to the entire list when it contains information that everyone can benefit from. This can done by using the 'reply' or 'reply all' functions.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information", "me, too", or any personal messages to individuals - not to the entire list. Do this by using the 'forward' function and typing in or cutting and pasting in the email address of the individual to whom you want to respond.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as "remove me from the list" through the listserv. Instead use the ISTM website page, or ask the ISTM Secretariat to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list.
- Warn other subscribers of lengthy messages either in the subject line or at the beginning of the message body with a statement noting "Long Message".
- Please search the list archives for recent discussions regarding your posting prior to sending your query. Often a topic has already been discussed. To search the archives you may use the link in the footer of each TravelMed posting or go to www.ISTM.org/TravelMed